Making presentations effectively communicates your ideas to others. Being able to use spreadsheet data in slideshows, especially those that can be easily updated, can certainly help in that regard
In this article, we will show you how to add Google Sheets to your Google Slides presentation, along with other useful tips for utilizing integration.
Google Sheets and Google Slides Integration
Google Slides is a very useful presentation program that only requires a Google Drive account. Even though the program itself is basically free, it is still packed with many features that can be utilized to your advantage.
Take Google Sheet integration for example. By linking a spreadsheet to your Google Slides presentation, you can easily display existing worksheet data without having to enter it manually. This integration comes with additional features so that the presentation is updated every time the spreadsheet itself is edited. You can never downplay the importance of the latest data when trying to make the right presentation.
Add Tables to Your Presentation
Adding a Google Sheets chart to your Google Slides presentation is a simple process. You can do this by following these steps:
- Open the Google Slides presentation that you want to integrate your chart. Click the number of slides you want to display.
- Open the Google Sheets file for which you need data.
- Select the data you want to use by clicking and dragging your cursor.
- Right-click and select Copy, or click Edit on the top menu then click Copy.
- On your Google Slide Presentation, click Edit on the top menu then click Paste. The Paste command on the right-click menu will not work. Selecting Paste from the right-click menu will only import text data and not the table itself.
- A small window will appear asking you if you want the table to be linked to the spreadsheet. Select the option you want. The Link to spreadsheet option allows you to update the table into the presentation whenever the original spreadsheet is updated. Selecting Paste that is not linked will only copy the data currently in the file. Click Paste to continue.
- You can adjust the attached table by clicking and dragging corners or sides. Hover the cursor over the corner or side of the table until the cursor turns into a double-headed arrow. Hold and drag until the table is the size you want.
If you want to change the range of data included in the linked table, you can click on it, then click the link icon on the top right. Next, follow these steps:
- On the menu choose Change Range.
- Edit the data range in the small window that appears, then click OK.
You can edit worksheets from Google Slides, by clicking Open Source from the Linked Options Menu. If the Google Sheets file has been updated, either through Google Slides, or only on Google Sheets, all will be given the option to update. A small Update button will appear at the top right of the table. Click to update your data.
Note that while a table is linked to Google Slides, anyone who has access to Google Slides files will have access to the Google Sheets table as well. It doesn’t matter if the user himself doesn’t have permission to access the Google Sheets file, as long as it’s linked, they will be able to see it.
Add Charts to Your Presentation
You can also add charts created on Google Sheets to your Google Slides presentation. To do this, follow these instructions:
- Open the presentation that you want to add the chart to. Select the slides that need to be pasted.
- Click Insert in the top menu, hover over the Chart, then click From Sheet.
- You will be given the option to enter a chart from your Google Drive. After you find the spreadsheet you need, click Select.
- If you want to link a spreadsheet to Google Slides, make sure the check box on the lower right is turned on. When finished, select Import.
- Note that if Sheets doesn’t have a chart, the Import button will be grayed out.
- The chart can be adjusted by following the same instructions for adjusting the table above. The options for linked charts are limited to unlinking and opening source files.
- Any updates made to the original file can be reflected in the chart by clicking the Update icon when it appears in the top right of the chart.
Display Related Information
The linked Google Sheets file allows you to display related information in your presentation without the need to copy data one by one. The update option ensures that such data is always up to date on the file itself. Being able to show accurate information will greatly contribute to well-delivered presentations.