We all know that GIFs are fun because they are animated. Hey, who doesn’t like animation? But, but, but … what about resizing and cropping GIF images? That is not a normal picture that you can crop as you wish or resize it however you want. You will only lose the animation and without animation, GIF is not fun at all!
So, how do you resize and crop GIFs without losing animation? Here we compile a list of tools that you can use for this purpose. Let’s get started …
For Windows Users
If you use Microsoft Windows as an operating system, you can choose a small utility known as File Converter. This is a shell extension utility. This means that it will only expand the capabilities of your Windows operating system.
Basically, after you install it, you won’t see it as a separate program. It prefers to add menu items in the context menu in your file explorer or Windows explorer. Select any file and right-click to bring up the context menu.
Now select the output format and the conversion will begin. In the case of GIF files, here’s what you need to do:
- Select the GIF file and right click on it. Move your mouse pointer to File Converter> Configure Preset.
- From the configuration window that opens, select the option that says ‘To GIF’ and play around with the options you get. This will display a slider to scale the GIF or reduce the GIF dimension.
- This will also allow you to increase or decrease the speed of the GIF using another slider.
- Once you are satisfied with the settings, click the Save button.
- Return to the file you want to resize, right-click and select the option To GIF or To GIF (low quality) and convert. That is all.
For Linux Users
If you are a Linux user and you are not comfortable with the command line (which you can use to resize and cut GIFs), you can use the well-known GIMP software. It’s free and easily installed on almost all flavors of Linux. You can get it from a software repository from a Linux distribution that you have installed.
Here’s what you need to do to use GIMP to resize and crop GIFs:
- Right-click on the GIF file and select the ‘open with’ option and select GIMP.
- After GIMP opens the file, you can see the layer of the file. Don’t ruin it unless you know what you are doing.
- Open the Image menu option and select ‘Image Scale.’ A new dialog box will open where you can enter the desired dimensions as pixels or other units.
- Now go to the File menu and select Export As.
- Give the name you want to the file and click the Export button. Another dialog opens with several options and some are selected. You must choose an option that reads “As Animation.” Now click the “Export” button and your GIF will be saved in the desired dimensions.
This, in our opinion is the best choice because it does not depend on the operating system you are using. All you need to do is find an online service. One popular service is EZGIF.COM.
After you go to the website, follow the steps:
- Click the Trim tab at the top and select the file you want to cut and press upload.
- After the file is uploaded, you can now resize it to the dimensions you want.
- Now select the aspect ratio, the trimming program of your choice and the transparent pixel trimming option. Now press crop and wait for the cropped image to appear.
- After the output is given to you, save the file to your local disk.
You can also use an option called Gifs.com for this purpose.
Although there are many options available on the Play Store and App Store, we chose this option because it is available on both platforms. This is a very popular application that allows you to not only resize GIFs but also make GIFs from photos, videos or photos directly. This application comes with many features that you will only like if you regularly share videos, images and GIFs to social media platforms.