Want to use a photo in your document but in the wrong orientation? You can modify your photos from the word processing program itself.
Want to use a photo in your document but in the wrong orientation? You can modify your photos from the word processing program itself. Most word processors including Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, and Google Docs let you rotate and flip photos without leaving the document.
You can also do this exercise just for fun. Here’s how to do it.
Flip Photo in Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word has tons of image editing features built in, and one of them lets you flip photos.
You don’t have to manually drag the image or bring it to a specific position. The only thing you need to do to invert your photo is to enter a value into the box. Here we show you how to do that:
- Open your document with Word, click the Insert tab, choose Picture, and add a photo of your choice to your document.
- Select your photo by clicking on it. Then, click the Image Format tab at the top.
- You should now see all the actions you can take on your photo. To rotate your photo upside down, click the Rotate Objects option and select More Rotation Options.
- A box will open on your screen letting you rotate your image. Hover over the Rotation field, type 180, and click OK at the bottom.
Your photo will now appear upside down in your document.
If you don’t like it and want to revert your changes, press Ctrl + Z (Windows) or Command + Z (Mac) and it will undo your changes.
Flip Photos on Apple Pages
Apple Pages offers many features that you will also find in Microsoft Word. It also has special options for rotating your images.
As with the Word procedure, you need to type in the angle of rotation and it will do the job for you:
- Open a Pages document, click the Insert option at the top, and choose Select. Alternatively, press the keyboard shortcut Command + Shift + V. This will allow you to add photos to your document.
- Hover over the image you want to turn upside down and double-click on it.
- Once the image is available in Pages, click the selected image.
- Click the Arrange tab on the right sidebar.
- At the bottom of the panel, you’ll find an option that says Angle under the Rotate section. Enter 180 in the Angle box and press Enter.
Reverse Photos in Google Docs
More and more people are turning to Google Docs to get things done. If you are one of those users and prefer this pack of online office applications, you can use the tool itself to invert images in your documents.
There are actually two ways for you to do tasks in Google Docs.
1. Manually Rotate Photos To Backward
One way to flip your image in Google Docs is to manually drag the corners of the image. If you prefer this method, here’s how to use it:
- Launch a Google Docs document, click Insert, choose Image, and add a picture to your document.
- Click on your image and you will see blue squares in every corner of the image.
- At the very top of your image you have a blue circle box. Click and hold on it and you will be able to rotate your image. Keep rotating the image until it is upside down.
2. Specify a Rotation Angle to Reverse the Photo
Another way to make your image appear upside down is to specify the angle of rotation of the image. You don’t have to manually drag the corners of the image to do the task.
You can rotate your photo upside down using this method as follows:
- Click on your image so it is selected, click the three dots at the bottom of the image, and select Size & rotation.
- In the right sidebar, click Size & Rotation to see more options.
- Place your cursor in the Angle box under Rotate, type 180, and press Enter.
The image you select must be inverted.
If you want to revert the changes, type 0 in the Angle box and press Enter.
Can you flip photos on WordPad and Dropbox Paper?
WordPad and Dropbox Paper may not be as popular as the aforementioned programs for creating documents, but they still do a pretty good job of creating many types of documents.
If you wish to reverse your photos with this program, you will be disappointed to know that there is no feature to do so in this app.
WordPad only offers a limited number of options for working with images in your document. The option to rotate your image so that it looks upside down is missing.
Dropbox Paper also doesn’t have that feature. As of this writing, you cannot reverse your image.
For now, one of the ways to get your image back in the correct position is to first process your image with an image editor. After you rotate your photo in an app, you can then embed it in your document.
Manage Basic Image Edits in Your Document
There may be no reason to reverse your image. But now you know how to correct an image if it appears that way in your document. These three popular word processors can manage basic image editing tasks and you don’t have to rely on third-party image editors.
If there are other issues with your images, you can use one of the many photo editing applications to improve and enhance the visual appearance of your photos before including them in your professional reports or documents.